Invited Public Talks/Keynotes:
- “No Emancipation Without Libidinal Economy; No Libidinal Economy Without the Subject; No Subject Without the Binary Opposition: Towards a Digital Interpretation of Radical Ethics.” Libidinal Economy in Crisis Times. Berlin, Germany. September 28th, 2019. Invited Talk.
- “Historicizing Slavoj Žižek.” University of Winnipeg, March 29th, 2019. Public Talk
- “Power and Ideology in Social Media: The Trouble with Platform Capitalism.” Skywalk Lecture Series. Millenium Library. Winnipeg, MB. March 6th, 2019.
- “Auto-Amputated Cybernetic Environments: On Mark Fisher’s Reading of McLuhan.” West Awake: University of Winnipeg McLuhan Symposium. Winnipeg, MB September 28th, 2018.
- “#Rithmic Desire: PlatFORMing Capitalism and the Ideology of the Present.” Presented at the Capitalism Workshop. CSI Annex Toronto, ON. July 12th, 2018.
- “‘It can only be attributable to human error’: Reading the Hysterical Sublime in 2001: A Space Odyssey and Beyond.” Keynote address at 2001: A Space Odyssey – 50 Years Later: A 21st Century View of Stanley Kubrick’s Sci-Fi Masterpiece. The Gershman Y. Philadelphia, PA. March 24th, 2018. Keynote Talk.
- “De-Mystifying the Alt-Right.” Congregation Eytz Chayim. Winnipeg, MB. March 15th, 2018. Keynote Talk.
- “A Year in the ‘Upside Down’: Truth, ‘Objectivity,’ and the Rhetoric of ‘Both Sides’.” University of Winnipeg. November 8th, 2017. Public Talk.
- “Fascism Ascendant? The Mainstreaming of Hate.” University of Winnipeg. March 3rd, 2017. Public Talk.
- “‘Trump’: What does the Name Signify?.” Trumpism. University of Winnipeg. January 18th, 2017. Public Talk.
- “The Digital Reputation Economy: Social Media and the Neoliberal Subject.” Social Media Lab Research Speakers Series. Ryerson University. November 5th, 2015. Public Talk.
- “The Neoliberal Subject: What Social Media Reveals.” Department of Rhetoric, Writing, and Communication. University of Winnipeg. September 18th, 2015. Public Talk.
- “From the Sublime to the Hysterical Sublime: Reading the End of the World Against the Singularity.” Lacan and the Environment, edited by Clint Burnham and Paul Kingsbury. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming.
- “Object Oriented Subjectivity: Capitalism and Desire in Blade Runner 2049.” Blade Runner 2049: Some Lacanian Thoughts, edited by Calum Neill. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming.
- “Capitalist Realism in Blade Runner 2049.” In In Anna McFarlane, Graham J. Murphy, and Lars Schmeink, eds., The Routledge Companion to Cyberpunk Culture. New York: Routledge, 2020.
- “The Hysterical Sublime: Black Mirror, Playtest, and the Crises of the Present.” In Angela M. Cirucci and Barry Vacker, Black Mirror and Critical Media Theory. (Lanham, MD: Lexington, 2018).
- Co-Author with Clint Burnham. “Her: Or, There is No Digital Relation.” In Clint Burnham, Does the Internet Have an Unconscious? Slavoj Žižek and Digital Culture. New York: Bloomsbury.
- “Christian Metz.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Cinema and Media Studies, edited by Krin Gabbard (New York: Oxford University Press, 2018).
- “Nuclear.” In Fueling Culture: 101 Words for Energy and Environment, Edited by Imre Szeman, Jennifer Wenzel, and Patricia Yaeger (Bronx, NY: Fordham University Press, 2017).
- Co-Author with Louis-Paul Willis, “Introduction: Žižek and Media Studies, Beyond Lacan.” In Žižek and Media Studies: A Reader, Edited by Matthew Flisfeder and Louis-Paul Willis (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- “Enjoying Social Media.” In Žižek and Media Studies: A Reader, Edited by Matthew Flisfeder and Louis-Paul Willis (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- “Communism.” In The Žižek Dictionary, Edited by Rex Butler (New York: Routledge, 2014).
- “Introduction: Reading Capitalist Realism, Ten Years On.” Mediations 33.1 (2019). Forthcoming.
- “The Apostle of Reason: Hegel and the Desire for Emancipation in the Twenty-First Century.” CT&T: Continental Thought and Theory 2.4 (2019): 193-228.
- “Postmodern Marxism Today: Jameson, Žižek, and the Demise of Symbolic Efficiency.” International Journal of Žižek Studies 13.1 (2019): 22-56.
- “‘Make America Great Again’ and the Constitutive Loss of Nothingness: An American Nightmare.” Third Text 32.5-6 (2019): 647-655. https://doi.org/10.1080/09528822.2018.1559144.
- “The Ideological Algorithmic Apparatus: Subjection Before Enslavement.” Theory & Event 21.2 (2018): 457-484.
- “‘Trump’ – What Does the Name Signify?; or, Protofascism and the Alt-Right: Three Contradictions of the Present Conjuncture.” Cultural Politics 14.1 (2018): 1-19.
- “Between Heaven and Hell, This World is All We’ve Got: Blade Runner 2049 in Perspective.” Red Wedge Magazine October 25th, 2017.
- Co-authored with Clint Burnham, “Love and Sex in the Age of Capitalist Realism: On Spike Jonze’s Her.” Cinema Journal 57.1 (2017): 25-45.
- “Morality or Enjoyment? On Althusser’s Ideological Supplement of the Law.” Mediations 30.2 (2017): 37-44.
- “Ideology Critique and Film Criticism in the New Media Ecology.” Film Criticism 40.1 (2016).
- “Est-il possible de représenter le rapport sexuelle au cinema?” CiNéMAS 26.1 (2015): 49-67.
- “The Entrepreneurial Subject and the Objectivization of the Self in Social Media” South Atlantic Quarterly 114.3 (2015): 553-570.
- “Debt: The Sublimated Object of Capital.” TOPIA: Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies 30/31 (2013/2014): 47-63.
- “Communism and the End of the World.” PUBLIC: Art, Culture, Ideas 48 (2013): 105-115.
- “Dialectical Materialism and the ‘Feminine Sublime’.” Subjectivity 5.4 (2012): 376-395.
- “Between Theory and Post-Theory, or; Slavoj Žižek in Film Studies and Out.” Canadian Journal of Film Studies 20.2 (2011): 75-94.
- “What’s So Funny About Class Struggle?: Ideology in The Trotsky.” cineACTION 82/83 (2010): 64-68.
- “Class Struggle and Displacement: Slavoj Žižek and Film Theory.” Cultural Politics 5.3 (2009): 299-324.
- “Reading Emancipation Backwards: Laclau, Žižek, and the Critique of Ideology in Emancipatory Politics.” International Journal of Žižek Studies 2.1 (2008).